Pages

Sunday 26 May 2013

Adventures with Allium Cepa

 In between bouts of feverish making, in preparation for the Saltaire Arts Trail,  I have been surreptitiously: purchasing mordants, scouring linen threads and brewing onion dyes .... I even called into action a rusty Victorian iron, found buried in the back garden, washed off the mud and popped it in a bucket of water to make an iron mordant  (apologies for the poor pun). Here are the results ......



... oh! Exciting news! ....  my woad seeds have sprouted ... so we are all on nightly slug patrol to stop the slimy blighters eating my stash.  Huge thank you to Claire Wellesley-Smith for introducing me to this fascinating process!

4 comments:

  1. Gorgeous colours! I love dyeing with onion skins - you always get a great result! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Isn't it fun! The green thread was a burgundy colour when I went to bed and transformed into green overnight ... pure magic. K x

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous shades, and even more beautiful when I saw them today. Natural colour is so very exciting isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claire!!! I think that if I get any more excited I will fall over :-)). Huge thanks for introducing me to the world of Natural Colour! K x

      Delete